I've been reloading since I bought my first centerfire rifle in 1967 and my first centerfire pistol and shotgun in 1970.

In the mid 1980s when I was shooting in our gun club leagues and competing in ATA registered Trap shoots and shooting 10K or more 12 gauge shells per year, I bought my first shotmaker. That homemade shot was good enough to put me on the 27 yard line for handicap and in class AA singles and class A doubles.

Ten years later I switched to Skeet and my homemade shot was good enough for me to shoot NSSA class AA in 20 and 28 gauge events and class A in 12 ga, .410, and doubles events.

I no longer compete in registered events, but I still shoot about 5K shotshells every year, mostly 3/4 ounce 12 gauge reloads at Skeet.

Our gun club sells components to club members at slightly under retail prices, and I buy my components in bulk quantities from our club. The shot is the most expensive component, and our club sells re-claimed, re-dropped, and new shot.

My 3/4 ounce 12 ga reloads cost me $1.88/box with my homemade shot or $3/box with re-claimed shot.

1 oz 12 ga reloads cost me $2.05/box with my homemade shot or $3.55/box with re-claimed shot.

For comparison, 1 1/8 oz reloads would cost me $4.45/box with new shot.

I also enjoy reloading and I get great pleasure in shooting a 25 straight or 100 straight at Trap or Skeet with my reloads and homemade shot, or shooting a trophy big game animal or filling my freezer with an animal that I shot with my reloaded rifle or pistol cartridges.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member