The John Wayne movie referenced was "The Comanchero's" and I believe in the first credits or description that rolls it states it took place in 1848, not 1836. Which still puts it way out of Colt SAA and Win. 92's time frame. A lot of flintlock muskets used in movies were trapdoor's with a flintlock appearing mechanism added to them. As I always tell my wife, it's Hollywood. They neither know nor care very much. The Outlaw Josie Wales was loosely, very loosely based on a character local to where I live, Bill Wilson. Some of the...incidents were true to fact. In the nearly last scene of the movie where the guy who is hunting Josie Wales and Wales are having their conversation as Eastwood stands there dripping blood, he refers to Wales as "Mr. Wilson". I'm personally acquainted with the great grandson of Bill Wilson/Josie Wales and at one time he was going to borrow one of my 1860 Army revolvers for his re-enacting persona. Ended up he bought two of his own. He also wrote a short book on his predecessor. Interesting stuff.

As where I live was the end of the railroad in Missouri during the Civil War and there was two Union "forts", (loosely defined), in the immediate area, there's quite a bit of Civil War history close at hand. One was called Fort Wyman and I can't remember the other. As I understand it, the second was more of an outpost for Fort Wyman. A customer of mine gave me a couple Minie' balls that were found on the location of one of the forts.

Put me in the "45 Colt" column and I was aware of the 45 Colt and 45 Schofield confusion 50 years ago so, there is some historical precedence for "Long Colt" but it passed from use for 120 years until the advent of CAS shooting. I used to shoot CAS and my cartridge of choice, (NOT CALIBER), was the 32-20 WCF.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing