so I figured out today that most of the bears I hunt are smarter than 50% of the morons writing on those forums and more interesting than the 40% [bleep] left. So I write for the 10%

I have been giving "coup de grace" to numerous wounded black bears and sitka blacktail with a 10mm Auto.
So far I use hornady 180grains XTP or Federal 180 grains JSP at +/- 1280 fps in my 5 inch barrel.
its deadly and effective.

there is a GIGANTIC difference between hunting and defense or coup de grace.... when you hunt with a handgun you aim for the lungs. A 44 MAG or a 454 casual will be more efficient and will provide quicker kill than a 10mmauto or a 357 magnum because of the blow on tissues....

in a defense or coup de grace actions: what you want its be able to hit the brain or the spine and terminate as fast as possible your target.
In this case the best cartridge is the one with you can hit with the first shot a relatively small target in comparison of lungs. then double tap or triple taps as fast as possible. last week I dispatched a big sitka deer with a broken and damaged kneecaps... I triple tap him when he jumped in the brush. My first shot hit him in the heart area, I missed the 2nd shot through the brush as he was moving away, but the first shot put in down, missed the 2nd and necked shot down on the 3rd. 10mmAuto. a 44 or a 454 casull would not have been more effective cause I would have not be able to shot as fast as I did.

Last edited by UAE; 11/25/20.