1minute I love that second shot. The context provided by the tree's make it.

wabigoon,
There's some great advice on this thread. Summarizing; the moon is bright and in your shot, the brightness of the moon is blowing out the image. If you can manually control the exposure, you can reduce the brightness by speeding up the shutter, or stopping down the aperture. Hopefully after your earlier post asking for advice on a new camera, you got one that you have some manual control over the settings.

Some other bits of advice...use a tripod...steadiness matters. Along those lines...use a remote trigger or use the timer on your camera to avoid shaking the camera as you activate the shutter. This will improve the sharpness of the shot greatly. If you have the option, use the "live view" on the camera and zoom in to fine tune your focus to capture the fine details. That too will improve the sharpness of your shot. I find more success with a faster shutter than what I thought I would for night photography...the moon does move enough to cause motion blur at slow shutter speeds. 1/60 is the slowest I've gone with any success. More often I'm much faster.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Super Moon 2016, f10, 1/60 s.

Shot through light clouds for the halo effect. f5.6, 1/200s, ISO320 (shot for my son's astro project...does anyone want to see all the phases of the moon?)

F5.6, 1/250s, (another astro project shot).

Lunar Eclipse 2014, f5.6, 2sec (note the softness of the image).

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/02/20.