Originally Posted by Rancocas
In most cases (not all) the US does NOT recognize duel citizenship. It is something that you would need to check, but it is possible if becoming a Canadian citizen you would lose your US citizenship. Check it out!

My gf is Canadian but teaches at WWU in Bellingham, WA. She decided a few years ago to get US citizenship but wanted to retain her Can. one as well. Try as she might, she could not get a straight answer from anyone, aside from paying an immigration lawyer $400.... Anyway, on the day she was sworn in as a US citizen, she asked the woman who was examining her and was told, "Technically no, but we don't worry about it with Canadians." So she stll has a valid Canadian passport as well as her US one.

In my case, I was born in Canada but 20 years ago I found out my biological father was born in rural Kentucky in 1903 and when he was still very young the family upped sticks and moved to Saskatchewan. (I recently was told by a neighbour with a similar background that just before the Great War, Canada was looking for farmers and said, "C'mon in!" So they did.) Apparently my father never took out Canadian citizenship, so I suppose that might be useful if I were to up my sticks and move to Bellingham.

Thr really fascinating thing about my father's family was that he was the last of 10 children. His parents - my paternal grandparents - were born during the Civil War! (1862 & 1864) and married in 1880!

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.