Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Every tourist who fishes needs to spend a couple of hours on the Russian during the peak red runs.

Tourist here checking in....

Did exactly that 2 years ago, except it wasn't in the peak, it was on the downhill swing of the run. Didn't have much issue catching my limit though. We didn't fish where the Russian hits the Kenai though, hiked the mile or whatever it was back to the falls and fished below them. We started our hike at 3 am to beat the crowds...

Not an expert, not even a novice on Alaska, but we enjoyed it, and I'd go back tomorrow if somebody wanted to go. Drove 1500 miles between Anchorage, Seward, up to Denali, back down to Homer. Sounds like a ton of miles, then you look at the routes we took and it is barely even a blip on the map of Alaska.

Halibut fished out of Seward. All of us limited on halibut, and I think we caught 9 or 10 different species of fish, my 8 year old caught an Octopus and was excited about that. Our boat captain was apologizing for it being so slow. We thought he was crazy. I think we ended up with 130 lbs of filets to bring home.

Tourists that saw Moose, bears, caribou, all the fish, eagles sitting in every dead snag of a tree, it was a great time.

That whole 'never getting dark' in the summer will mess with your head though. Sun brightly shining at 10pm makes you think you're not tired.