Steve.........

You're welcome, Sir... but one note of which you may not be aware.

It is my understanding that Hodgdon developed their Varget rifle powder specifically FOR the 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge which we know as the .308 Winchester.

So if you haven't tried Varget in your .308 Winchester, I recommend you considering "working up" some loads using Varget & standard Winchester & Federal primers.

As concerns IMR4064... I'd be VERY cautious (concerning high pressure) as you approach the maximum load (43.0 grains in my old reloading manual) of IMR4064 in your .300 Savage. It's definitely a "compressed" load... and crushed powder granules tend to yield an erratic, often unreliable burning rate.

In my prevous post wherein I posted my range notes concerning IMR4064, you will note that with EVERY brand of primer tested, there was considerable "flattening" of the primer. Some were worse than others, probably due to a slightly softer metal compound used in the primer's "face", but ALL of the primers showed "high pressure signs" at the 43.0 grain powder load due to the consistent FLATTENING of the primers.

Of course, in your rifle, the results may be different, but generally, with the exception of "soft" primers, flattened primers indicate chamber pressures that may be in excess of 63,000 psi (approx. 52,900 CUP) which is the top operating pressures found in most magnum cartridges (up to 65,000+ psi) and a few modern non-magnum cartridges like the .308 Winchester.

Good shooting... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...