Originally Posted by joes64gto

I am experienced with reloading many different rifle and pistol calibers with smokeless. Have loaded Black Powder 10ga shotshells but first time trying rifle namely 45-70. Components are:Swiss #3 Fg ,Winchester Magnum rifle primers, 500gr.cast round nose bullet. Problem I`m having is the case capacity with this bullet being so long. Even cutting it back to 57grs I fear that I`m compressing the charge more than the recommended 3/10 inch to arrive at overall max length of 2.55 inches. Would welcome suggestions.. The rifle that I`m loading for is an original trapdoor 73 Springfield in good condition not a modern or repro. Thanks, Joe

Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Thank you Gentlemen.

I bought a drop tube and loaded my first and loaded ten rounds. I had resize the bullets to .457 to make them fit in the chamber. That is also with letting the chamber decide the overall length of the loaded round. They shot well, considering.

Considering that I did not know so I did not wipe or blow between rounds. My shooting was first of all a reliability test and therefore was successful. Next up will be consistent accuracy.

The adventure continues...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue