Many very interesting comments here and due respect for EK is always appropriate among all of us, IMO. John is right on his accessment of Elmer's lack of enthusiasm for change in his later years as Ross Seyfreid, who was mentored by him and knew him well has said much the same thing in one of his excellent articles.

I decided many years ago that packing a .338 WM loaded with 250 NPs was a sound practice here in BC, where frequent Grizzly episodes with hunters and my work in silviculture and fire detection made such a combo practical.

I have seen no reason to alter this and since I will only kill animals for defence (never had to but close a few times), a few pests as in Porcupines damaging our L/O buildings and, of course, to eat, this has served me very well. I've used 250 NPs over 69-71 IMR-4350, in various rifles, then 76-77 RE-22 and am now trying 70-H-4350, ALL of which worked/work VERY well.

I have shot two .340s, prefer the .338 WM and will never be without at least two matched CRF rifles so chambered until I can no longer walk...at 61, I figure that this is roughly another 40 years or so. My latest 250 NP loads as given above chrono'ed 2800 fps-mv out of one of my minty P-64 Alaskans recently, can't ask for more as the groups hovered around .7 all day.

The big .33s really DO offer something special for big animals and Elmer was as right about this as about most other gun-related issues, INCLUDING eating your kills.