I left in 2015. Up to that time I cannot say that I ever felt I needed to be armed. My dad used to yell me 'if you look for trouble you will find it'. I was born in anch in the early '50s and watched it grow from a medium sized town to the city it is today. I remember the place when Northern Lights Blvd was dirt. When the the back road through the Port was the way to get to Government Hill. Tudor road stopped in the swamp and Muldoon was the off base hangout for Ft Rich. soldiers. The Pipeline changed the place the most both city and State. Anchorage has always been the jump off or staging place for West Alaska. Merrill field used to be the busiest airfield per take offs and landings in the USA. Partially due to the numbers of students as well as support fot the outlying villages. I flew my cub off Merrill for years. The city is what it is, a fast growing urban place with all the good and bad that goes with such places. I am not sentimental about the place at all. I enjoyed the place until I decided I was tired of the cold and dark fall/winter days and the buggy damp summers. I liked the proximity of Anch to what I enjoyed most about Alaska. I like Fairbanks for much of the same reasons except Fbxs is too far from salt water. I suspect that if you expect Anch to be like it was 50-60 years ago you will be disappointed.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin