I have a friend at work that hunts deer and elk every chance he can. He shoots a 7mm Mag right now and says he is comfortable taking shots out to 1000 yards. He is looking for something that will be legal in Idaho (under 16 pounds) and carry more knock down at long range. What recommendations does anyone have on rifle and bullet combinations?

I disagree with him on shooting at the ranges at which he has collected game but to him rifle hunting is more about getting meat for his family, his real hunting is archery. I am just hoping to help him find the best tools for shooting in certain areas he hunts.

He did not really set any other limits, just under 16 pounds and be effective at long range on deer and elk. One gun dealer is trying to get him to buy a 50 BMG that has had every spare ounce removed and it is still not quite below the weight limit.

thanks for your help,
Boodude

Last edited by BooDude; 08/31/07.

Reputation is what others think they know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your Honor and outlive the bastards. Ariel Vorkosigan