When you hunt it is 68 degrees F? Use your rangefinder with the angle comp on. Dial accordingly. Practice and confirm your dope is correct for the conditions you will be hunting in. Generally when I'm hunting, its not anywhere near 68 degrees. Nor do I want it to be. Back to the angle comp feature. It is a great option to have. My cheap azzed Nikon 1000 has it and it works very well. That will give you the true distance you will have to dial for. Hopefully that makes sense. An example: The last longrange buck I took ranged at 648 yards compensated distance, since I was shooting downhill, the range finder gave me the correct distance to dial for. The actual distance was around 700 yards with angle comp turned off. When hunting and shooting at extreme downhill or uphill situations, always run with your angle comp on. I'd also check ballistic calculators and see what the difference is for drop when the temperatures are below your proposed 68 degrees and the elevation is closer to where you will be hunting. If I were hunting in different western states, as you say you do, I would have had the dial cut for a lot higher elevation too. Probably something closer to 2,000' above sea level. Do you do your hunting at sea level and 68 degrees?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA