We (5-6 of us) usually do a basecamp and then backpack in with a spike camp (8-man kifaru). Been using the OnX hunt app on our iPhones (used to use the garmin rino with topo chips for map). Phones will run down and need a recharge more often than the rinos..... This year I just bought a GoalZero Sherpa 100ac powerbank and Nomad 20 portable solar panel. In our case - we'll leave the powerbank charging from the solar panel during the day in spike camp and then come back and charge up our phones / radios at night ... doing this each day. the solar charging can be weather dependent, but works pretty good unless it snows and you need to keep clearing the panels off. going to see how this works with 6 guys this year as the spike camp solar is a new setup for us.

The Sherpa 100ac and Nomad 20 is probably a bit much to be hiking around all day every day and if that is your case, goal zero offers smaller kits (power banks and solar panels). Depends on your situation.

(side note)
I've been impressed with goal zero products so far ... we use a yeti 3000 with Boulder 200 solar panels in base camp and now pretty confident the little Honda gas generator can stay at home (although we'll probably chicken out and throw it in just in case...lol). I run a Dometic cfx 75dz electric cooler (all trip), all of our lighting (6 to 8 chained goalzero lite-a-life 350 lights and an LED rope light across 2 wall tents and the kitchen in between. Everyone charges everything at night off a plugged in power strip (radios, phones, bluetooth speaker, etc.). my favorite part is no sound from the generator running..... makes camp a little more peacefull in the evening round the fire..... happy to offer more feedback on this setup if interested.

Last edited by AHM; 09/29/21.