Originally Posted by MAC
I sold a few through Cabelas a couple years back. I came into them unexpectedly and wanted to move them fast. I could have gotten more selling them privately but the difference in the time that would take compared to the $$$ pretty much made it a wash. I had no emotional attachment to the guns and no financial stake so it was pure profit and this was the easiest way to send them on the way.

My experience is a little like this. About 4 years ago I had a Browning bolt rifle (60's vintage) that I'd inherited years earlier and had never used. Researched its value (which was kind of all over the place) and briefly tried selling it. Tire kickers but no real interest. I wanted a Tikka T3 CTR. So I went to the local Cabela's Gun Library and ended up working a deal. Essentially, I traded my rifle, which they valued at $1,000, for the new Tikka. Didn't have to pay sales tax as it was a trade. I was happy as I didn't have to mess anymore with trying to sell and the possibility of shipping the rifle. Got the rifle I wanted. A couple months later I was back in that Cabela's and they had my former rifle for sale at around $1,400, if I recall correctly. As I said, I was pleased with how it worked out and I'm sure Cabela's was as well. So there are times that it can work out, depending on the owner's situation.