Originally Posted by bobmn
Dan: I followed the debate about back thrust, frame stretching, etc. in the Contender frame and that is why I settled on a wildcat based on the larger capacity 444 Marlin case. Whether it was worth the approximate 100 fps over a 30/30 is debateable. Perhaps a carbine barrel in 7mm TCU might have gotten me to the same place? I am gunshy about traveling with wildcats for hunts based on attempting to find lost 416 Ruger ammo in Zimbabwe which is another positve for the 30/30.. Regarding frame stretch, most materials which possess elasticity in practice remain purely elastic only up to very small deformations, after which plastic (permanent) deformation occurs. That is why I believe the repetative nature of cartridge firing causes frame stretching over time as opposed to just a few rounds.

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle. Even a .30-30 AI lets you use ammo you can find at Walmart, or anywhere else they sell ammo for hunting deer, in a pinch. I'd rather do AI than a true wildcat. I can buy Lee dies for normal prices for .30-30 AI, and Lee CS tells me the .30-30 collet die works for AI.

I ran the numbers for 7 TCU and 7-30 Waters, looking at drop, windage and velocity with TTSX 110 and 120gr and NBT 120gr. Decided the 7TCU doesn't offer enough over the .300 BLK to be worth buying a barrel. The 7-30 Waters trajectories were within an MOA or so (expected window of repeatability) of the .30-30 TAC-TX load out to the point where velocity dropped into the questionable expansion range with the TTSX and NBT bullets. With the confidence in terminal performance of the TAC-TX, and the KISS-compability of .30-30 (even AI'ed), it seems that Old Reliable is the best answer.

Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10/20/21.