Originally Posted by kevinJ
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Have a grand design 2800 bunk house
It’s half ton rated. When we bought it pulled it a few times with a f150 that was fairly decent tow rating for a 1/2 ton. Crazy scary on interstate though

That truck was a pos anyways so I traded for a gmc 2500 at4 diesel SRW

No comparison. That 1/2 ton got blown all around with that camper and needed a expensive hitch just to even be able to pull it

The diesel 3/4 ton hauls it like it isn’t even back there. And gets 18.5mpg interstate doing it. No need for a load hitch. Doesn’t need air bags. Can pretty much just hook up and go

If I went fifth wheel I would go drw though.

You get 18.5 MPG towing a 28' travel trailer with a GVWR of 8500 lbs?

Sample of one trip down the interstate for 68 miles. Started trip b on dash as soon as we hit the on ramp. Avg was 18.5mpg while on interstate. Which it’s relatively flat driving on that section. But hell my f150 on same section got 9.1mpg with same camper.

I’ll be doing that drive 5 times this year. I’ll check it a few more times to confirm but so far thats what I have to work with

I haven’t really tracked mileage with trailer off interstate yet. But I will.
Around town this truck gets about 15.8mpg if I’m not lead foot and there are not lots of hills. Get about 21mpg cruising at 72 on interstates that are relatively flat.

I would question that mileage for sure something does not seem right, you need to hand calculate that mileage. I have a 2006 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison, 4x4, crew cab. I tow a 21 foot bunkhouse camper that weighs about 4000 pounds down I-40 mostly flat after I get off of Black Mountain. I think the best mileage I ever got going east was around 14 MPG, running about 70 MPH. Coming back west and up the grades its usually around 11.8 to 12.5 MPG according to how hard i'm pushing it.

As far as empty on the same rout I can get right around 19.8 MPG, running 70 MPH.

NEVER GIVE UP