Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Isn't it amazing that people tend to recount the times that they had perfect shot placement, or took the high moral ground and didn't take the shot...but no one recounts the stuff-ups they had and wounded game. From this, one might conclude that people tend to cherry-pick the best encounters they have and sweep the bad ones under the carpet and forget about them. But there are lots of instances of wounded or crippled game and I don't believe that its always someone else, or that it doesn't happen that much.

This is an imaginary argument. You can't imagine this is the case and then present it as if its a real thing. It's simply not true. Look, it's not a political matter of opinion - if the .22 centrefires didn't work on deer, people just wouldn't use them. You don't get an award for doing it.

Put it this way, I have shot a bunch of big red deer, the size of elk nearly, with a .44-40 carbine and black powder. I cannot give you any stories of stuff ups and wounded game. In fact, a deer shot with one in the rifght place dies as quickly as if you shot him with a .270 in the same place.
Now, a .223 has to be more effective than a black powder .44 -40.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain