I'm a Canadian. This forum is supposed to be about Canadian Hunting & Shooting. Let's get it back on track. You wanna gripe and complain about Canadianism, politics, personal views, news events...take it somewhere else please (OK, I'll get off my soapbox now)

Here in northern BC, last winter was one of the worst recorded in the last 50 years. A lot of popular moose hunting areas had populations decimated due to the extreme cold & deep snow, winter ticks, late spring and high wolf and black bear numbers. There's been a lot of unsuccessful hunters this fall. However, it's not all doom & gloom. The moose didn't all die off contrary to what some would have you believe. As usual, one of my co-workers went out the first week of October during the prime calling time for moose. He uses a M70 .300 WinMag w/ 200gr Accubond handloads. They went 3 for 3 on good bulls. On the first day, one of the boys popped a young tri-palm (3 points on brow) and by the end of the week, they were done with 2 more bulls with racks in the 50" spread range. All three were called in. My buddy personally saw 31 moose and called in 14 bulls in the 6 days they hunted. They only had one close call with a grizzly sow and cubs, but that just adds to the spice around here. In this area, legal bulls have to be either no more than 2 points on one side (spike-fork), at least 3 points on one brow palm (tri-palm) or at least 10 points on one antler. So it can be a bit frustrating when you have a large bull come in only to have to turn him down because he doesn't meet the legal requirements for one reason or other.
Anyway, just wanted to try and get this Canada forum back to hunting & shooting so thought I'd post up. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by bcbigbore; 10/15/07.