Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
Another Labradar user. I used an Oehler for 30 years but since I bought a Labradar 4 years ago the Oehler hasn’t been turned on. Indoors, outdoors, easy setup, downrange ballistics, data management - I can’t imagine not owning it now. With over 2000 rounds fired I’ve had zero problems with it that weren’t operator error.

But it’s not for everyone:

- if you can’t learn to use a Smartphone, Labradar isn’t for you
- if you don’t care about downrange ballistics then there are cheaper options
- if downloading chrono data to your computer is more than you want, use a pad of paper and a cheaper option
- if you don’t mind walking in front of the shooting line to adjust and readjust the screens, no need for Labradar
- if you don’t need to check the accuracy of a load at the same time you chrono, get a MagnetoSpeed
- if you just want a very simple to operate chrono with no added features, eschew the Labradar

Well stated. Mirrors my thoughts as well.

While I have, and use, a smartphone I can't begin to understand the myriad of apps it contains or that are available for downloading. Beyond its use as a phone and camera (and dropping in to read the latest gum-flapping on a couple sites when away from my laptop) it's a mystery to me. When reading about all the features and applications of the LabRadar I get the distinct feeling that it would flummox me the same way my smartphone does.

I went with the Magnetospeed because it's simple enough for my Luddite-like self to operate, and meets my needs too. I'm only interested in velocity on an anecdotal basis - "I wonder how fast the bullets in this load are going?" I'm not a long range shooter, so downrange data/statistics are worthless to me, and transmittal/storage of data is meaningless to me. The Magnetospeed evades the bustling about in front of the shooting line as well.

If I make any improvements on my occasional chronograph use, with the Magnetospeed, I would employ Mule Deer's jerry-rigging of one on a separate platform stationary ahead of rifle muzzles on the bench, allowing for velocity measuring while group shooting. But I probably won't.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty