Originally Posted by pjf
I�m tired of removing rust from my rifle after every elk hunting trip. The bore, screws, trigger components, and any un-blued metal seem very susceptible to rust. I am eyeing the Remington Model 700 Titanium and the Browning A-Bolt Mountain Titanium rifles. Are all of the components of these rifles resistant to rust? Are there any other suggestions for a rust-resistant mountain rifle in a short or medium length action? Thanks!

I know where you are coming from!

If you really want to keep rust at bay then start out with a SS or Ti Rem 700.

Have the action Cerakoted but don't stop there. Make sure you have the scope mounts Cerakoted as well. All the action screws, scope ring & base screws, bolt stop etc should be Cerakoted or KG Gunkoted as well (KG GunKote works well on tight tolerance parts). The newer SS & Ti 700s are shipping with the new X Mark Pro trigger which is very corrosion resistant too. I also seal off the undersides of scope base screws, ring and action screws with a bit of flat black Rustolem paint, it blends real well with most matte black finishes.

The only areas I wipe down on a hunt are the exterior surfaces of the bolt and the bolt head/extractor areas. The all time best gun oil for wiping down metal surfaces IMO is Corrosion X .

I do all my own coating to keep the costs down and for QC reasons.

On the Rem 700s and Mod 7s, they have less springs and water traps than most other makes. The bolt head does not collect that much moisture and there are not many coil springs or areas that collect moisture.

And tape off your muzzle with electrician's tape too. There is a good thread on this subject in the Alaska forum.

MtnHtr