Originally Posted by Winnie70
Originally Posted by mauserfan
It takes a 400 yard shooter to make an accurate 400 yard shot......there are very few that can do it in the field. Always a lot of chest pumping shooting from the bench. Just my gray haired experience. As far as accuracy from the bench, I want my rifle to be as accurate as it can be......I am good with 1" and no fliers.
Well said, I like to be able to shoot my rifle any time I pick it up and with a clean, cold barrel shoot a 1” shot. Put gun up for that day, go back another day and do the same shot and it be 1”….same conditions as close as possible. If will do that I will go hunting and be confident that it will put it where I aimed on any shot I take out to 300 yards because I know where it will hit out to that range. Now, if I take a 400 yard shot I might can make it and I might not….have hit iron from that distance BUT I might not press the bang button because I might miss and I don’t like too miss. Anyone that can shoot at that distance and know they can make it is a good shot….I don’t know that yet.

Word for word, letter for letter, this^^^^^^^^^^^
Both posts

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.