Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"A word of warning on the newer (EPA certified) wood stoves:
They have a bad habit of building up coals without burning them down. Eventually, you get to the point where you don't have enough room to get sufficient wood in."

The coals build up because you are burning wood that is not dry enough. Common rookie mistake.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools-Instruments-Digital-Test-Meter/3136919

You need to shell out $39 at Lowes and buy a moisture meter. The moisture must be below 17 percent. For oak, this takes at least two years of drying.

Don't go out and test wood in your woodpile. Common rookie mistake. Bring a piece inside for 24 hours to let it warm up to the 65 to 70 degree range. Take it back out and split it. Immediately test the freshly split face, with the prongs running parallel with the grain.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My stove is a modern EPA approved. Made in Norway and cost $2500 six years ago. It is a delight to run. Burns the coals down to fine white ash.
Works great with dry wood.

First I've heard, after a bunch of internet searching, about this likely being a moisture issue. I'll get that moisture meter and see what I'm dealing with.

Also, my stove will "Burn the coals down to fine white ash" too. It just takes a long time and they build up. Perhaps that is the difference between a $2,500 stove, made in Norway and one bought thru Northern Tool.

For what it is worth, the wood I'm currently burning was cut, split and stacked 7 years ago.