Update from the OP...

I'm still really interested in the LX 470 but bought a 2004 GX 470 in Southern OR for what seemed liked a really good deal. It needs a few things, but the price was hard to pass up. Essentially a stock GX with two owners for several thousand dollars less than what I have found locally. I jumped on it, and if it doesn't meet our needs I'll just flip it.

Drove it 300+ miles to get home today and so far I am pretty impressed. The display indicated 20 - 22 MPG at 65 - 70 MPH which was a pleasant surprise for FT-4WD. I think that is actually better than my wife's Highlander, but the GX has highway biased car tires and the Highlander has all-terrains and cargo box on the roof. The hand calculations seemed to match the display and speedometer error seemed typical compared to GPS.

Road noise, ride, and visibility were really good. With the full time 4WD it feels very stable at low speeds and high. Has airbags for the rear suspension but no KDSS from what I could see looking underneath.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it definitely feels more planted and stable compared to our Highlander and Tundra that I sold, or recent model year Tacomas. Might be due to the FT-4WD? After driving it on the highway and around town, I totally understand why some people really like the driving experience of a GX470.

Not a lot of cargo space in the GX470, but I knew that before buying. And of course, that is handy on trails having a smaller treadwidth and WB.

The most remarkable part of the car to me is the engine paired with the 4-speed tranny for 2004. I really like it. It is not the VVTi as far as I know, but drivability around town and at freeway speeds is great. I think that my foot and brain are programmed for a V8 and 4-speed tranny so this car works well for me. Just goose it a bit and the torque of that little 4.7 liter engine squirts past traffic without a downshift. I love it, but am sure the VVTi with 5-speed are sweet too.

Anyway, I enjoyed the driving experience of the GX 470. Not 100% sure that we will keep it but the price was right and I do want something for some mild mods so the low price makes that affordable. Lift, sliders, skid plates, etc. but nothing too serious.

Thanks for the feedback on this thread. I have appreciated all the comments and advice.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/21/23.