Originally Posted by RickyD
I've read too many of those stories too and rather than an equal vote I prefer to fix any such elections wholly in my favor. The only way I'd let a bear get that close to me, would be if I was asleep or unarmed, which is nearly the same thing in my perspective.

Still I do admire your confidence, fortitude and courage. I'm sure it was an experience you will remember forever.

Point well taken. I was a little concerned when I found that I was 4 feet from my gun and 8 feet from the bear. If he had decided he wanted a piece of me, he would have been on me faster than I could have reached my gun (an in-line muzzleloader), and I would have had only one shot anyway.

On Birdwatcher's post: I have read Herrero's book -- thanks for reminding me of that point. There probably won't be a next time, but if a bear ever approaches me that way again, I'll be a little more suspicious of his intentions.

Incidentally, rifles are not permitted in the area where I was hunting and they do not permit bears to be killed. Neither of these regulations make sense, but until a bear puts the hurtin' on someone real bad (hope it's not me), the rules will probably not change.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt