I am breaking a cardinal rule of mine by posting as I tend to get into arguments I would rather not.

First, Rene thank you for the acknowledgement.

I was one of thousands of kids in a crap hole town with no prospects. I tried to join, they offered me ASA based on test scores, however I was turned down as I was 3Y after the physical. I had cosmetic surgery, it fixed nothing, but hid the problem. I still would have been 3Y.

The following year I was a low number, was called for a physical, and the doctor thought the operation scars were from a fight. I was 1A after the physical. I was drafted without binocular vision. My doctor wanted me to fight it, I refused.

When my number was called, I had been married 18 months.

Again, I was offered ASA based on test scores. I replied that they could do with me what they wanted, but I would not hide in a safe spot while another draftee went into harm's way in my place. No clerk's office or supply, or kitchen because I was afraid to face fate.
I was 21 when I was sent on a hardship tour. Drugs were horrible, the mess hall was worse. For about 6 months I stole a can of dog food from the guard dog supply and heated it for dinner. At first, I was laughed at, but soon I had most of the platoon joining me for dinner.

We were allowed two hours of heat per day, one in the morning, one in the evening. Most of us spent the winter wrapped in blankets like ponchos as winter clothes did not arrive until spring.

At 65 I went to apply for VA benefits, and I was means tested out of them.

I stood and said I could take whatever they threw at me. Most of the RA's looking down on the US were ones who were peeking out from behind the kitchen door, or the supply room and were looking down on the draftee not because he was drafted, but because he had bigger balls.