Gents,

I just returned from my neighbor’s Aoudad hunt in Texas. I went along as an “observer.”

The 4 day hunt was more entertaining than I thought it would be…. Saw many sheep, put stalks on a few….buddy turned down many smaller ones, holding out for a “big one”…….missed one at 390 yards.

Very skittish and difficult to get close to. Sneaking on mule deer or elk is far easier.

Anyway, we would walk ridges or drive around looking anywhere from 600 to 2000 yards to find where the sheep were….. then put a stalk on…. I had a 10 power Nikon that was totally inadequate at these very long distances

One guide had a 10x Leica and a Swarovski 35 spotting scope. The other guide used a 12x bino and a new Vortex spot scope. They both liked the new vortex better.

One guide used his 12x binos and located a herd of sheep at 1675 yards. My Nikon could only pick them out when the guide took a bit of time to direct my gaze to where the herd was….. just brown shapes to me…. Not much different fro:the bushes…. Had not the herd been moving I could not have made them out.

So, without breaking the bank…..what bino/spot scope recommendations might y’all have?

Thanks,

TF

Last edited by TF49; 02/09/23.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”