Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Ranger and bowman.....I wouldn't use the rds on pistols.....should have said that in the beginning just rifles ....I see both being used on rifles non kickers and heavy kickers.

planning on making a switch from scopes....shots 150 max I dont shoot long range...

and trying to weigh all the options...thanks

I've mounted reflex sights on rifles, too. Aimpoint closed tube, C-More and Burris open emitters... each has that list of pros/cons...

I most recently used one of the Burris open emitter types mounted on the receiver ring of a very lightweight bolt-action rifle intended for deer hunting, usually within 100-150 yards (and likely much less), probably 200 yards max. Worked well enough for sighting in, the very light weight was in keeping with the rifle's intent... but in the woods I discovered (yet again) that the lack of magnification doesn't help much when it comes to trying to thread a shot through brush. I could see game, but I couldn't easily distinguish small limbs and twigs in between.

Different from when I used an Aimpoint on an earlier javelina hunt in AZ, where targets aren't huge, and where distances could be longish but bullet paths would have been mostly unobstructed.

Not a recommendation, just observations...

-Chris