Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Thanks BSA! I've got the twin to your 338 also in a brown Poundr but it's on a standard action. Comes in at 7 pounds 6 ounces so I'm suspicious that there is a decent weight difference at play. Granted barrel length and profile could be partly to blame as well. Mines a 26 inch barrel and somewhere around a #3 profile.

Could you explain further about how the H&H receiver lets you get an extra round fitting down below? I'm not seeing offhand how that would happen, but I'm not doubting it.

Good question. The H&H magnums hold 4 in the mag box. As does my H&H receiver 338wm and 300wby. Love both rifles and they function just like any pre 64 model 70. Without flaw.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now, does the H&H receiver make enough sense to go that route over a standard receiver? I remember saying something to the affect, why do guys make such a big deal over Talley lightweights? And I remember Brad saying "every ounce counts". I would not kick a std receiver 338wm out of bed though, and your rifle weighing 7 pounds and 6 oz's is not bad. It seems like the older I get, I understand what he was saying. An 8 pound all up 300wby or 338wm works awesome for elk hunting, where you are packing the dang thing all day long. I don't typically use a sling either. So it's in the hand all day long. There's a huge difference between a 10 pounder and an 8 pounder. Also keep in mind a well balanced rifle can weigh a little more than a poorly balanced one. The ones pictured above are about perfect for balance and weight. They carry very well, IMHO..

Going back to your comment about the barrel profile. The 338wm I have is a medium contour and is 24" long. The 300wby has the factory barrel on it. I know where another one is that is exactly like that one, but in a factory stock. It's had a recoil pad added, but is priced at $1,000.00. Which is pretty reasonable for what it is. I may swing by and take another look at that rifle today. I'll also be looking at a 1940 30-06 for $650. Should be a fun day.. Oh, and Scotty's rifle is a beauty there.. Love that 7 mashy!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA