Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by tx270
Where a dually really shines with a tall, heavy load is stability. I don't mean whether is squats or not, I mean when you have a 20 mph side wind (which is fairly common out west), you WILL notice the difference the two extra wheels in back make, PERIOD.

As far as just weight most campers don't actually weigh that much, but they wind catching SOB's.

Never take anyone's advice who says buy a 3/4 ton for a 36' trailer. Unfortunately most 3/4 tons today are made for soccer dad grocery getter crowd, a 1 ton now is about the suspension equivalent of what a 3/4 ton was 15 yrs ago. . At the least get a 1 ton, even if its a single wheel. They don't ride much stiffer than a 3/4 ton. I drive a single wheel 1 ton everyday, it's only a tiny bit stiffer than the 3/4 ton it replaced, still very comfortable.

Bill
You must not be reading the new trucks specks. A new Silveradao 2500 HD, Duramax is rated for 23000, pounds, GVCR. True enough though my first reply was that duallys help sway. As for a soccer dad comment, I run right at 17,500 pounds , camper horse trailer animals and gear.That is hardly a grocery getter.

I think the OP's 1T GMC is rated a 33,000 IIRC.

My statement about grocery getters wasn't directed at anyone here saddlesore, just a statement from experience having both 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups over the last 30 yrs and how the suspensions have changed. I always drove 3/4's too until my last one, i ended up having to do add a leaf, sway bar etc. because it was loose as hell with a heavy load.

With a couple of my trailers its nothing for me to gross over 20k, the 1 ton handles it much better. One three horse slant with living quarters weighed 13k before you ever put a horse in it.

I know Chevy does a little better with their 3/4's but look under one of the new standard 3/4 ton Fords. Two (yes 2) full length springs with a little bitty helper, pretty flimsy. Look at the suspension of an F250 of 15 years ago and you'll see my point.

I take manufacturer specs with a very large grain of salt. They rate trucks for things I wouldn't be caught dead pulling with said truck.

As people that tow a lot, you and both know this also, a lot of stuff will "pull" things, but being able to stop that SOB if it gets squirrely is just as important.

Bill