SKS w/4X Red Star scope. Remington factory SP ammo. Small doe at ~135 yards. One full penetration double lung shot, doe ran 25 yards then DRT.
Notes: I have owned two SKS rifles, two CZ 527 rifles, one a carbine, the other a CZ527 American, and fit a .308” bore barrel in 7.62x39 to my Ruger 77 switch barrel action.
I have enjoyed the cartridge enough to where I now own a Ruger No.1A in 7.62 x 39.
I have enjoyed hand loading for the ‘commie’ round, and have gotten great accuracy even out of the SKS surprisingly enough.
I like to tinker, so I took some Norinco steel cased ammo, carefully pulled the FMJ bullets out, leaving the original powder charge in place, then seated Speer 123 grain game bullets in place of the removed (same weight) FMJ bullets. Crimped them in place with a Lee Factory Crimp die, and then went deer hunting without concern of loosing any good grade brass cases ejected 50 feet away in the brush.
I started hand loading in 1968. Playing with the x39 in recent years has been as much fun as any other round (and there have been a BUNCH!)
I’ve been keeping the Ruger No.1 unfired so far. However these posts may have convinced me to taking it out of the safe and getting it dirty…😆

Last edited by Alaninga; 05/21/23.