Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If a bullet has a copper or copper-allow jacket, it can cause copper fouling. How much depends more on the individual barrel, how fast the bullet is driven and, to a certain extent, the powder used than the bullet itself.

Thanks for sharing your hunting results. Nice buck!

MD

I really believe that your above statement from another thread is quite true, and am interested in the experience of others, as well as yourself. Perhaps the guys who shoot hundred of rounds a day at gophers, etc, will have some insight in this regard.

I have done a lot of loading in scores of rifles with many different powders. For the most part I do not get cranked up too much with cleaning rifles. Usually just put one or two wet patches of Kroil through the bore after a shooting session, to remove the powder fouling, and put the rifle back in the safe.

I have noticed, however, that three rifles in particular, a 270Win, 30-06 and 300 Win, when using Norma 204 powder, exhibit virtually no metal fouling when using this powder. If I switch to something else, the bores begin to foul. Switch back to N204 and they stay absolutely clean.

The 300 Win Mag is a Stevens 200 that I bought new on a whim. That barrel now has around 200 consecutive rounds through it using 204 and several different weights and makes of bullets, including the old original 200 gr X bullets, yet shows no sign whatsoever of metal fouling. None!

Is it possible that being a double base powder might have something to do with this, or does the Norma powder have some other unique characteristic that accomplishes this?

Ted