My adult son (24 yrs old) has decided he wants an adventure and want to head west/north from Texas to rifle hunt mule deer. Though I am an experienced hunter, he is not. He called and asked, “Dad, my buddy and I want to go out west and hunt elk or deer, but think deer might be an easier quest on our first hunt”. So he asked my advice on an out of state mule deer hunt. He’s not a “trophy hunter” so trophy areas aren’t a big deal to him. He would be hunting public land and probably won’t have more than a week total to scout and hunt. What suggestions can you give me to pass along to a young man who wants to hunt out west on public land for mule deer? My suspicion is that he will be taking an expensive camping trip😁.
I’ve taken elk and mule deer with a bow in COLORADO and know what it takes to be successful on public land. I’m not sure he and his buddy really know what’s involved to do what they want to do. My suggestion to him was to think about Nebraska as a first hunt. Please feel free to Pm if you would rather, than responding publicly. Thanks for any feedback on hunting public land out west for mule deer. John