Admittedly, I don't have too much Lyman stuff. For many years I think a lot of their equipment was so-so, with a few exceptions. That meant when I was looking for reloading equipment, I generally passed over their site. In store, there wasn't too much around, and I didn't think that I was missing anything.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That changed a few years ago. I was at a show and got the chance to look at the Brass-Smith presses. After playing with the small, cast iron C press, I brought it home. It was tougher than my little aluminum Lee C press, and made a great accessory press for priming, case trimming, cast bullet sizing and a few other things. You can never have too many presses!

The trickler retails for about $40 CDN and has a few features that set it apart from the others I own. I know that more people are using auto powder dispensers, but there are many times when you only need a few cartridges or don't want to spend big bucks for an electric trickler.

What I noticed right away was how heavy it was! 1 lb 10 ounces. The body is made from cast aluminum. The adjustable base is steel. Compare that to the RCBS trickler at 5.8 ounces. It's about 4.5 times heavier and doesn't move around on the bench like the RCBS and plastic Hornady tricklers do.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It has an adjustable base, with over an inch of up and down travel. You just loosen off a screw and dial the base to the best height. With the other tricklers, I had been putting primer flats under the trickler to get it off the bench top far enough.

The knob is substantial, which is great for anyone with big fingers. And because of the weight, does not move. It stays where you put it.

It holds more powder than either the RCBS and Hornady tricklers, and seems to dispense the powder a bit slower than the others. Some might see that as a problem, but it makes it easier to hit the desired weight with either balance beam or electronic scales.

I haven't heard much about it in my circle which I think is because other reloaders feel the same way about Lyman products. I have changed my opinion.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada