It doesn't surprise me a great deal, but it does seem ironic that with all the attention given to the minutia of dangerous game rifles that more attention isn't given to the proficiency of the shooter.
I would guess the odds of being able to stop a charge from a lion or bear would go up a lot faster by practicing on a weekly basis with a given rifle than by switching from a push feed Remington to a CRF something or other.
Speaking of guides,I know a few elk guides and former elk guides here in Montana. Some are excellent shots, I have hunted with one that is the worst game shot I have ever seen and actually has little interest in hunting and less in rifles. Another is a life long poacher. Some "GUIDES" guide by driving their dandies around in a Suburban and having them shoot deer out of the windows on a ranch where there is no hunting pressure due to no public access. They hunt elk about the same way. Other guides take their hunters out back of the back of beyond. Guides,like all the rest of us, fit no particular stereotype.

Royce