Originally Posted by KYFRED
Florida Big Fish:

I'd like to hear more about your area. y family just purchased a home on St Georges Island and I would ove to find the key times to come down and fish off shore for cobia, off teh beach for pompano, specks, reds, in the bay and any other key times of the year.

Hey,

SGI is just a short drive west (1.5hr). We fish over that way a good bit, especially for Tarpon during the hottest parts of the summer (in the bay and off the beach). Pompano run is early in the spring, east end is best area but can be caught off the beach. Specks & reds in spring and again in fall. Some of the best red fishing is in October timeframe, we like to fish the shorelines and nearby oyster bars mostly using artificals (Berkley Gulp baits, shallow water crankbaits (my favorite)and topwater). The offshore fishing is also great, grouper/snapper within a few miles of the beach with numerous artifical reefs and navigation towers availabe. I'm sure there is a cobia migration that comes to SGI but the best areas are PanamaCity/Destin to the west. Lots of speck fishing in fall/early winter (not my fortay) but look around the island bridge and nearby oyster bars there. Tides are the key and the tides in the bay can be kinda funky at times (sometimes only 2 tides a day).