Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My buddy with a lingcod he caught out of Seward…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url]
Gotta be like pulling up a pallet of bricks when ya hook into something like that.
😳

Lingcod are decent fighters since they don’t have swim bladders like other bottomfish. The swim bladders of rockfish (Sebastes) will get distended from being brought up too fast and they can’t “equalize”. When a rockfish gets “decompression sickness” they don’t fight anymore and if they’re released without sending them back to depth they’ll die on the surface. Lingcod don’t have that problem and they’re a top tier predator in their environment so they can put up a decent fight.

Halibut, especially when fishing them deep (<350’) with 48-60 ounces of lead, are like reeling in a pallet of bricks! I really enjoy eating halibut, much more than I enjoy eating any salmon, but I don’t enjoy fishing for them deeper than 200’ in reasonable current. When I fish for halibut I’m strictly grocery shopping. When I fish for salmon or most other fish I’m playing with my food. 😀

Lingcod is EXCELLENT table fare and probably my 2nd favorite fish to eat.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~