So I am minding my own business last couple of days getting ready for the upcoming Big Game seasons but my mind keeps "envisioning" a great deal/offering on "A" gun at a distant gunshop (76 miles away).
I ignore this thought for two days but when I woke up this morning I decide to act on this "premonition" and take off early to be at the shop when it opens.
Now I do NOT believe in U.F.O.'s and I do not believe in psychic phenomenon but several times (maybe 7 or 8?) in my gun chasin career I have had this type premonition and it has come true in short order.
As I am driving along viewing Antelope and Deer and passing the time I begin to doubt my "premonition" as I'm thinking to myself I was just at this shop two weeks ago and I bought the only pistol that I saw and was interested in (Hi-Standard Model 103 Sport-King 6" MINT condition). Oh well its an incredibly beautiful fall day in Montana and I press on enjoying the views and the mountains.
No sooner do I walk through the door of the gunshop when what do I spy but a MINT condition Smith & Wesson Model 617-1 with 8 3/8" barrel! I put my reading glasses on and the sales tag reads "S&W Model 617-1 - Two barrel Set With Case".
Well I round up a "counter-person" and ask him to unlock the display case and show me the revolver.
He does and I ask about the "other barrel" - his reply "NO that must be a mistake this is a Smith & Wesson NOT a Dan Wesson".
As I am looking the MINT six shot revolver over (not even a turn line on the cylinder!) another counter-person comes along and remarks "no that is not a two barrel set the person who made the sales tag must have mistaken the barrel under-lug as another barrel"!
I contain my puzzlement at this statement and ask to see the "case" that comes with the 617.
Soon the case is found and brought to me - the serial number (which I have now memorized!) on the pistol matches the case and when I open it up what do I discover but a MINT perfect stainless full lug 22 L.R. barrel 6" long!
Both "counter-people" are shocked at this "find" and relay how they had never seen a Smith & Wesson revolver "two barrel set".
I hadn't either to tell the truth.
Now, it is CERTAIN, I will be buying this 617 and I am just killing time waiting to make a cash offer on this super-cool pistol when the time is right.
Along comes the store owner whom I have known for 20+ years, and dealt with ever since she worked in the store as a clerk and then a year ago she BOUGHT the store when the original owner retired.
She grants me $50.00 off the $799.00 tag price for cash and like George Thorogood "out the door I go" (no sales tax in Montana).
I stop at the town park a block or two away and give the gun and the case another looking over.
The Smith case again shows the correct serial number, and for barrel length, it reads 8 3/8".
No mention on the case label of a "set of barrels, or a second barrel".
Under the waxed paper and foam lining of the case I find a receipt bearing the original purchasers name and information and the store he bought it from (Duffy's Gun Room - Silver Springs, Maryland) and the original costs. Pistol was originally $390.00 - sales tax was $24.00 - state fee (?) was $10.00. Again no mention of the second barrel on this sales receipt dated June 1, 1996.
I assume the owner sent away for or found a MINT perfect 6" stainless full lug 22 L.R. barrel at a later time?
There are absolutely NO vise marks on either barrel or the 617's frame so I assume the 6" barrel is not "fitted or headspaced" to the frame - again, I don't know.
But to say I was thrilled with this find would be gross understatement!
Its been a long time since I had a "good gun deal premonition" come true, but it sure did today.
It set my mind off to wondering - how did this nifty pistol and extra barrel come together and how did it get to Ennis, Montana from Silver Springs, Maryland?
Its been a long time since I closely examined a factory Smith & Wesson revolver barrel, not attached to the frame, and the fineness and machining of the threads on this 6" full lug barrel are very impressive.
How about you'all ever have a "gun deal" premonition - I have probably had a thousand of them and just a handful or two have come to fruition for me.
Long live Smith & Wesson pre-lock revolvers.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy