Today was a beautiful fall day and I was in the mood to shoot my .375. The cornfield has temporarily blocked my 100 and 200-yard berms, so I was relegated to the 50-yard bench. I thought it only fair that I give the rifle a running start to kick the snot out of me, so I raised my head for the first shot. Then I remembered that the recoil isn't that bad, and shot the remaining 9 rounds a little better. My second 5-shot group would have been one hole if my bench technique was in better form, but I still had a lot of fun.

This is one rifle for which I have no practical use in central Ohio, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it and I can't bring myself to let it go. It is a BACO, acquired new in about 2010 or so. It wears a 4x Leupold in Talley QD mounts, and for fun I shoot Remington cases, Varget powder, Federal primers, and Midway blemished 270-grain roundnose softpoints, which I believe are made by Hornady.

I teach law enforcement firearms training (including patrol rifles) and spend a lot of my range time with LE officers and students. I hunt a little, but will likely never go on safari. Yet, strangely, when I shoot on my own time I find a box of handloads through this .375 more enjoyable and relaxing than several magazines through a decked-out AR15. But, rifle looneys don't have to justify such feelings, so I think I'll just go load some more buffalo ammo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]