Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Interesting read. John, thanks for sharing your experience and expertise clearly and concisely, as always.

Noticed that no mention of Leupold’s B&C reticle was made. I’m not a varmint hunter or long range shooter preferring to take shots at game as close as possible. However, conditions in open places sometimes make a longer shot the only one available.

My 3 longest shots at game have been with Leupold’s B&C reticles. Main crosshairs sighted in at 200 yds with the lower 3 short hash marks confirmed at or very close to 300, 400 and 450 yds IIRC. Splitting the distance between the hash marks works for intermediate ranges.

Didn't notice this post until now--mostly because people quit commenting on these essays not too long after they were posted!

I didn't mention the Leupold B&C reticle specifically because it one of the category often called "Christmas tree reticles," as I mentioned in the article. The B&C is a fine variation, but so are some others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck