I have a few friends that cannot get out in the field anymore and love dogs. I started a Brodie diary back when he was a young pup on his adventures to keep their spirits up and get a few laughs. Here is one I put out to them on our Sunday goose hunt adventure.

Brodie Diary - Sunday October 15

Well Dad organized another goose hunt. This time with another fellow to see how I did with other people being in the field. I think this fellow surprised Dad as he was a food vendor (FV) -- aka the Treat Magnet.

As background for those of you that do not know me I am:
- Smart, fast and willful (have my own mind at times)
- I am a foodie -- treat time is my favorite
- I will forget to eat breakfast if Dad has his hunting stuff out
- I like hunting and know when Dad shoots - a retrieve is there
- I know lots of commands - At times I think of these as suggestions
- I whine to let my humans know they are wrong and need to change their minds to listen to me.

So we get to the field and Dad and the other fellow start setting out goose decoys. All is good -- normal stuff. Finn and I get to sniff around. I hear Dad say too bad this is a blue bird afternoon --- I have no idea it is super nice with no wind - I like it.

Decoys are out and Dad and the other fellow get their spots set up. I hear Dad say to the other fellow that he is not interested in shooting geese so all geese shots this fellow can have. My spidey senses are going --- Dad practices shooting alot --- does this fellow practice? Hmmmm --- could be a long afternoon.

Now they are in their spots --- this is where the other fellow becomes the food vendor --- holy smokes -- pepperoni's, beef jerky, ham sandwich - with cheese, cheeses, cheese nachos and other stuff. Man I have to visit him --- sit / stay are all suggestions. Did I say I did not eat breakfast? Dad never has treats in the field -- a milk bone back at the truck. This is new and a nice add.

Dad calls me back lots of times -- again I take this as just a suggestion for a short visit only, as the FV was still pulling out stuff. Even though I was not getting anything I went back --- perhaps whining would help change the FV's mind.

Did I ever mention Dad does not like whinners?

All of a sudden Dad says here comes a goose --- the FV is looking around and never sees it --- I see it and it fly’s away. Ok that is one.

A little later Dad says here comes another one. This one is so low I could jump and catch it. The FV is busy with Nacho's and does not see this one either. That is two.

Now Dad says here comes another one. This time the FV shoots and misses. It was right there. Ok Dad misses sometimes -- so we will give the FV this one.

Another one in and a miss -- that's four toes -- one paws worth. Not sure this is good -- better increase the whining so Dad knows.

Another one and then another --- all flying away. This fellow is a master conservationist. 8 toes -- 2 paws holy smokes I am going to lose count. Dad is trying to get me to stop visiting the Food Vendor who is still bringing out treats and missing. I end up on a lead.

Now the FV starts to hit birds and because I am whining Finn gets to bring them back --- I figure this out and stop whining and then get to retrieve some.

A goose lands in the decoys and Finn almost catches it. Finn is not as fast as me --- I would have caught it and saved Dad a shell.

Ended up as a good day --- I got to retrieve some birds --- only issue no treats were shared.

I heard Dad describe me as a PIA --- I will have to look that up as it sounds good.

Brodie out

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hugh