I'm still not sure if the theoy of 1 in 16" twist rifling is the reason why win.32spl. barrel go bad as Youper explanation.
Originally Posted by Youper
The 32 Special has a 1 in 16 twist, but the Winchester rifles in .30-30 have a 1 in 12, and the Marlin rifles 1 in 10. The proponets of the 32-wears-out-to-quick theory claim this happens because of the slower twist needing less wear to become inaccurate.
I thank Youper for the reasonable theoy. BUT looking at the Marlin 336 in Rem.35 it's twist is 1 in 16" in todays modle. Has anyone known of a Marlin 336 Rem.35cal. gone inaccurate because of the rifling twist wear like the win.32spl. I do'nt compare calibers to explain one particular one with another, ever though the win.30-30 & the Win.32spl. look identical and both use 170gr. bullet weight and to my understanding it's ballisicly the same. The win.32spl (.321)diameter is larger than the 30-30(.308)and the rem.35cal. is .358 diameter, All three are different and shouldn't be compared. But if you must, well how? by caliber or by rifling twist.