I hunt alone probably 95% of the time. The reason is simple - private land - and the owner is adamant that I not bring anyone else. At times I’ll hunt with him or one of his family, but thats kinda rare. They aren’t as interested as I am. They don’t invest time to scout or even practice with their weapon of choice.

If I travel and camp away from home, then I will have a partner or two along. We share the camp, the cost and the work. Its way more fun with good friends and family. Archery elk is much more productive with friends that can help call.

The private land is less than 30 minutes from my front door. I’m able to use my quad to access most of the roadless parts of the ranch to retrieve game.... that’s a biggie with me! I’ll be 71 pretty soon and try really hard not to have to pack game parts very far. If I need to I’ll process the game gutless and get that to the quad on my back.

I prefer to hunt alone, to be perfectly honest about it. I can go where and when I want. I tend to glass a lot and can be very patient. Have coffee, eat or take a quick snooze if that’s what I want to do. I pass up a lot of smaller bucks, because I’m aware of several bigger bucks living there - because I scout and spend a lot of time there. My friends eat tag soup more often than not and think I’m crazy....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....