I found a nice used Winchester M70 extreme weather SS today. It's a 30-06 with what looks like a bell and Carlson synthetic stock and a fluted 22" barrel.

It felt about right to me balance wise and the price seemed good so I grabbed it. It's assembled in Portugal and although I've had m70 stainless classics before this I'd my first Portuguese gun. How are these series guns?

It looks well made so I'm excited to see how it shoots. If it shoots well it may be my new traveling gun or go anywhere do anything rifle. I've always been a fan of 30-06 and have always felt like it's a good one to have one trips.

I might have to load up some of my old loads from long ago for doing anything. I used to load 200g partitions over a heavy charge of h4831sc for about 2700 fps. There wasn't much that wouldn't do under 500 yards. My longer range one was the same charge under a 208 amax. I recently bought a bunch of 225g eldms for half price so I'll see what I can get those up to as well. Starline also finally delivered my new 30-06 cases so I have a matching lot again.

I've always liked the way a 30-06 feeds and being able to load it with 5 rounds. Most bullets seem to work well at 30-06 speeds too. I'm hoping this shoots well.

Bb