Originally Posted by bobdahunter
I was pretty happy with this one I purchased this week, but I get it that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Backstory, my two loves are pre64 70s and weatherby cartridges. So anytime I see an old winchester rechambered to weatherby, my interest is peaked. This one spoke to me because of the age and finishes. While I don't have proof of the provenance, I strongly suspect this was a gun rechambered by Weatherby before they made their own guns. Weatherby is obviously known for the high gloss bluing. This barrel with the engraving looks like an original weatherby barrel. And the receiver being reblued with the exact same luster as the barrel certainly seems like something that checks out as could have been done by Roy himself before he was making rifles.

I'll never know for sure, but for $1200, I'm not going to complain either way.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-mag-conversion-28-.cfm?gun_id=102537289

Interesting rifle. It's possible that Weatherby did the conversion somewhere around 1947-1949. That would make sense. I've seen some of his conversions, and he was not afraid to use any action to build on. One I saw was an original conversion that was chambered in 300wby, and built off of a m1917 receiver. One hell of a beautiful rifle. It had Weatherby inscribed on the barrel, like this rifle, but the stock was totally weatherbyesque. That is what surprises me about this pre 64, usually Roy would restock the rifles he built. Not leave them in the original stock. Just wasn't his style.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA