Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Yes the irony is laughable! Incidentally, I saw more collapsed roofs on large barns and outbuildings last winter than I’ve seen in years. Even metal roofs.

No surprise, metal roofing does not add strength to the assembly.

Structural strength comes from truss design and plywood' OSB overlay. Neither do asphalt shingles add strength. Quite the opposite they only add weight.... metal is lighter... and expense in material maybe, tho I think the material and labor expenses might nearly cancel out between metal and asphalt.

Flat-topped tarred roofs in snow country..... Well!

On gable roofs, metal roofing sheds snow load easier, expecially at high angles. I went 4/12 and 5/12 metal on roofs that i had say in. 6/12....No problem! At least with metal. Which I love when it's raining. My wife doesn't like it for the house. Should re-shingle next summer- she won't countence anything but asphalt. W

It's a 4/12, and has ice-damming tendancies. I DID NOT design and build it. I think he was from So Cal or AZ or someplace warmer...I'm getting old enough to dislike dealing with that chit every winter. I'm working on her, but she is the definition of stubborn...and she doesn't have to do the roof-clearing thing. Soon, neither will I! I'm 75 now.... She's probably trying to kill me off..... smile

A friend over in Hope, AK ( wet snow country!) built his log house with snow dams on the roof to not shed snow. The roof is designed to something like 200 lbs/sq foot as a WAG.... maybe more. He didn't do things by halves. Water off the roof in spring/early summer was fine. Snow berms around the perimeter were not. I bought the oxpho-blue to blue the steel beams. smile. Barring a really catostrophic earthquake or fire, that log house is gonna be there for centuries. Excellent "rustic" taste and craftsmanship everywhere.

Some rich fugger from Anc or someplace will pay a pretty penny when his widow moves on. She was supposed to be here today, but snow/avalanches/power outages between here and there changed plans.

Last edited by las; 12/25/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.