Shot a knee-cap off once - does that count? smile

Got out of the boat, changed out of our Yukon River running gear, and started up the bank of a feeder stream.. Plan was to work upstream a mile or so (very shallow creek), cross, hunt back to the boat. If we found a moose to shoot , I could walk the boat up to it, through the riffles and shallows, and float it back down. Seemed like a good plan.

70-80 yards from the boat, a young bull moose came walking out 70 or so yards ahead, down to get a drink. Short hunt - I liked it! Just one riffle to navigate.

"Wait until he finishes and turns away- we don't want him in the water", I told my wife.

She did, and when she touched off her .243 the muzzle was about 2 feet from my ear. I reflex shot off the .270...

Her shot went thru both lungs... moose limped about 15 yards to behind a screen of brush, stood there for a minute or so and fell over. We heard it go down, circled around to a higher over-look bank behind, just in case. The Lab was bouncing around from the shot.... "Retrieve...retrieve....retrieve...!" He was 3, and had never even seen a moose. And not this one.

On spotting the downed moose I gave him the go.. He ran down, sniffed a leg, and looked back at me....

"You HAVE GOT to be kidding!"

Well, it was his first moose, but once earlier he had tried to retrieve a not-shot walrus.

That's another story. smile

Damn- I wish I was young again! With dogs to live with in the future.

Last edited by las; 01/12/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.