Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I might have to go home, then! Much as I'd like to spend the time shaping a blank... I just don't have it.

If time is your main concern (and you're not left handed) go with a Kibler. Pretty much snap together fit and very little fitting required. All done on CNC machines. Have yet to hear a bad word about a Kibler Rifle. Rave reviews all across internet land. Keep in mind Kibler only does flintlocks but to me that's not a bad thing. Personally I can't stand the arrogant puke, but he builds a helluva damn GOOD rifle that he will stand behind 110%.

The difference between a good kit and a bad one is the lock that you get. That matters with a flintlock, not really quite so much with a percussion. You didn't mention which you were after.

If I HAD to choose a "kit", I'd look at those I listed above and jump right into it. Notice I failed to mention such as Traditions and the like. That's on purpose. Judge the quality by what the price tag says. You get what you pay for when it comes to muzzleloader kits. Gone is the day when you could hammer together a T/C kit, not break the bank, and end up with a good rifle.

Thanks, Fed. I'll look into the Kibler. I don't mind doing some fitting (I work on stocks for bolt guns frequently)... just couldn't commit to starting with a blank right now. (Though at some point, that seems like a fun way to kill time in the garage.)