Originally Posted by ronwethington
Anyone have any input on this rifle? Seem to be about the lightest AR 10 going.
Emphasis added.
Sample of one. I am reminded of the Mini 14 once described as a most expensive plinker. I suppose a useful tool for changing times. Mostly I write to object most strongly to classing the Ruger with the AR10 family. Ruger most explicitly did not build an AR10 here. Ruger, as they will tell you over and over, engineered the lightest and handiest AR style chambering a .308/7.62x51. Looking for example at the Ruger website one finds:
A TRUE SMALL-FRAME AUTOLOADING RIFLE
the SFAR is nearly identical in size to a traditional 5.56-caliber modern sporting rifle.
For my money if it shares no meaningful parts with an AR10 then it's not an AR10. Given the full power cartridge and such accessories as telescoping stock and a choice of optics with simple operation I could send my wife into deer or elk or bear country with the Ruger S(mall)F(rame)A(autoloading)R(ifle) and expect recoil to be acceptable and results good at any reasonable range. I have no idea at all how well the Ruger would perform in 6.5 Creedmore. My opinion is that it would disappoint out of the box but could be made to shoot well. Again I have no knowledge of the Creedmore but I'd expect to pay more to get the most accuracy out of the cartridge. If not then the Ruger is a great bargain.