Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Razz
Originally Posted by las
If you were south of the Brooks Range, you weren't on the North Slope. Technically. Were you?

Kotzebue is in the Arctic, tho - by aout 30 miles. I liked my 8 years there.

LAS, never said we hunted south of the Brooks Range. We were north of the Brooks Range. Along the Kukpowruk River

Thanks for the clarification. You mentioned Kotzebue and North Slope together. I've lived both places. I was wondering if you had flown out that far from Kotzebue. Most out of Kotz do not. Or did not. I left there in 2018, so haven't really kept up on where the guided and fly-out activity is now taking place. I know the locals were trying to eliminate guiding and fly-outs to the Squirrel and other drainages south of the range - don't know if they did.

As a "subsistence hunter"when I lived there, 2010-2018, I did all my caribou hunting on snow machine or ATV within 20 miles of town. But I conserved the resource for you guys - I only shot one half-way decent (and that's exaggerating a bit) out of the 20 or so cows and bald bulls I killed later in the winter than the "sport" season. smile

Yeah we went pretty far north due to the changes with areas being closed . Overall a good trip, but hard to roll the dice on what will happen. I get protecting the resource, but seems very unfair to people that booked a year out. Just my opinion anyway.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz