When I first bought my AppleTV device and installed it on my big screen TV, it supported iTunes, YouTube, and Prime (plus all the traditional move channels, HBO, Cinemax, etc.). Then, after a few years, it notified me that in a few weeks it would stop supporting YouTube, and if I wanted continued YouTube support, I had to buy a more recent model of the AppleTV device.

But why would I buy a new one when the old one still works perfectly? Am I supposed to throw away a perfectly functioning device? So I just stopped watching YouTube on the big screen TV (other than occasionally using the mirroring function based on my iPhone or MacBook, which isn't nearly as convenient), but still had iTunes and Prime service.

Yesterday I got a notification that, starting in mid February, Prime would no longer be supported on my older AppleTV unit, and I'd need to buy a newer model if I wanted continued Prime support.

These are clearly efforts on the part of Apple to get people to dump their old, perfectly functional, AppleTV units and buy more recent models. There's no other explanation possible. That's total BS on Apple's part. Great way to support their customer's purchases of their products ... not.